Branch pickup ending while Street Department gears up for fall leaf collection program
The Street Department will conclude its branch pick up program on Friday, Sept. 29, to prepare for leaf vac & winter operations. If you have branches to dispose of after Sept. 29, please take them to the Street Department facility at 13 W. 73rd Ave. Hours are 7:15 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. The fall leaf collection program begins Oct. 16. Program details are as follows:
Town of Merrillville 2023 Fall Leaf Collection Program
The Merrillville Street Department’s fall leaf collection goes into full swing on Monday, October 16th, 2023. The Town of Merrillville has been divided into 10 areas for collection purposes. Please check the list of areas to determine which one you live in, so you can prepare for your scheduled weeks of collection. Leaf collection will pass through the town 3 times this season.
Because our leaf collectors are vacuum units, only loose leaves will be collected from the curbside or the edge of the street. It’s each homeowner’s responsibility to rake their leaves to the collection site in long, narrow piles.2023 FALL COLLECTION PROGRAM GUIDELINES
- Leaf collection will begin on Monday, October 16th, and run through Friday, November 24th. There will be 3 pick up weeks for all residents.
- Before your scheduled collection week, place leaves in a narrow pile or row down by the street.
- Do not place leaves in cans or in plastic or paper bags. Only loose leaves will be collected.
- Keep parked vehicles off the street during your collection week. We will not return to the piles that are passed over due to vehicle obstruction.
- If your leaves are not collected during your scheduled week, please be patient. We will maintain collection order all week, despite inclement weather or unforeseen delays.
- Leaves placed for collection should be free of waste oil, chemical contaminants, tree limbs, cans, rocks, bricks, garbage, or any other foreign objects and substances.
- The Merrillville Street Department concludes its branch pickup program on Friday, September 29, 2023, so no branches will be collected with leaves. Please do not place branches on top of or under your piles of leaves as those piles will not be picked up. If you will have branches to dispose of after Sept. 29, you will need to take them to 13 W 73rdAve. Hours are 7:15 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Leaf collection will begin each day at 7:30 a.m. Have your leaves raked and ready by the Monday morning of your collection week.
If you have any questions, contact the Merrillville Street Department at 769-6784, or check the Town’s website at merrillville.in.gov
Town of Merrillville
2023 Fall Leaf Collection Schedule
PICK UP WEEKS
October 16th, October 30th & November 13th for Areas 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
October 23rd, November 6th & November 20th for Areas 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10A, 10B, 10C
ATTENTION: Have your leaves out by 7 a.m. on the Monday at the start your pickup schedule. Leaves will be picked up during the weeks listed above, not just on the Monday of that week.
AREA 1 Northern Town limits south to Grand Trunk & Western Railroad & Mississippi Street west to Broadway; Includes Georgia Heights & Meadowland Manor Subdivisions.
AREA 2 Northern Town limits south to Grand Trunk & Western Railroad & Broadway west to Harrison Street; Includes Meadowland Subdivision.
AREA 3 Northern Town limits to Grand Trunk & Western Railroad & Harrison Street west to Taft Street; Includes Meadowdale, Country Club Heights, Barclay Village & Englehart Subdivisions.
AREA 4 Northern town limits south to Grand Trunk & Western Railroad & Taft Street to western Town limits; Includes Wright Manor, Bon Aire & Lakewood Estates Subdivisions.
AREA 5 Grand Trunk & Western Railroad south to 73rd Avenue & Taft Street west to Town limits; Includes Bel Oaks, Innsbrook, Brookwood & Prairie Creek Subdivisions.
AREA 6 Grand Trunk Railroad south to 73rd Avenue & Madison Street west to Taft Street; Includes Turkey Creek north & south, & Devonshire Subdivisions.
AREA 7 Grand Trunk Railroad & Western Railroad south to 73rd Avenue & Mississippi Street west to Madison Street; High School area.
AREA 8 73rd Avenue south to U.S. 30 & Mississippi Street west to Taft Street; Includes Chapel Manor, Forest Hills, Savannah Ridge, Southmoor Park & Madison Meadows Subdivsions.
AREA 9 73rd Avenue south to U.S. 30 & Taft Street west to Town limits; Includes Independence Hill, Young America, Southbrook, Lincoln Gardens, Crescent Lake & Creekwood Crossing Subdivisions.
AREA 10A U.S. 30 south to 93rd Avenue & western Town limits east to Broadway; Includes Teal Crossing, Bridgewood, Marion Woods, Chapel Hill Farms, Sedona, Mesa Ridge, Sunset Cove & Westwood Estates Subdivisions.
AREA 10B Broadway east to Mississippi Street & U.S. 30 south to 101st Avenue; Includes Broadfield & The Preserves Subdivisions.
AREA 10C Mississippi Street east to County Line Road & northern town limits south to 101st Avenue; Ross Meadows, Grassfield, Sandpiper, Auburn Hills, Butterfield Subdivisions & the Ainsworth/Deep River area.