Report a Concern
Traffic/Street impact studies:
- Snow removal… done with 20 full-time employees driving heavy-duty trucks.
- Road repairs… hot patching is done to larger sections of streets that need a section replaced. Your street department employees are trained to handle this type of repair saving taxpayers money by avoiding outside contractor services.
- Street Sweeping/Cleaning… is done on a regular basis throughout the town by using the two street sweeper machines to keep streets clean and free from debris.
- Maintenance of street signs… this is done "in-house" using the towns sign shop. This also saves taxpayers money as the town can produce its own signs as needed. These include stop signs, speed limit signs, and most all of the other signs that you might see throughout the town including street name signs.
- Maintenance of street lights… this project allows for our own workers to replace burnt out street lights by using our “bucket truck” to lift workers high in the air to reach street lights. This again allows for great savings by not requiring an outside company to do this type of work.
- Crack sealing of streets… is done by our own department, workers using equipment purchased by the town to again save money. This on-going project allows workers to crack seal streets when they are severely cracked.
- Maintenance and repairs of all town owned equipment requires our two mechanics on a daily basis to keep equipment repaired and ready to use at a moments notice.
- Leaf pick up program each fall
- Spring time yard clean up program
- Maintain all town buildings
- Branch Pick Up in the Spring & Fall
Merrillville Street Department
13 W 73rd Ave
Merrillville, IN 46410