How Merrillville Will Use The Funding
The Town Council will be devising a plan as to how to use the food and beverage tax revenue. Initial ideas include the following:Parks and Recreation
- Revamp existing neighborhood parks with modern equipment and upgrades.
- Build new neighborhood parks in areas where no park is available for residents.
- Build a bandstand-type park for outdoor concerts and other shows that can be performed.
- Expand the Dean and Barbara White Community Center by adding two basketball that would convert into four volleyball courts so regional tournaments can be hosted at the facility.
- Expand programs at the community center.
- Add sidewalks to connect our community for residents and tourism. This would utilize ideas as presented in the Comprehensive Plan update.
- Add signalized crosswalks to provide safe pedestrian and bicycle passage throughout town to again connect our community and allow access to commerce and increase tourism.
- Add decorative street lighting and welcoming signage to entrance points in town.
- Identify and build a new town square-type downtown area to give Merrillville an identity that was never accomplished upon becoming a town over 50 years ago.
- Build a splash pad for children to enjoy.
- Establish the recommendations that we expect to receive from resident feedback from the Merrillville Momentum Comprehensive Plan due for completion in early 2024.
There are many benefits for the Town if additional funding was available each year coming from a new funding source that is not available to us today.