The use of consumer fireworks within the corporate limits of the Town of Merrillville shall be limited to the following times and dates:
- between the hours of 5:00 p.m. and two (2) hours after sunset on: June 29, June 30, July 1 - 9
- between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight on July 4
- between the hours of 10:00 a.m. on December 31 and 1:00 a.m. on January 1
Buying and Using Fireworks
In addition to sparklers (ground spinners, cone fountains, wheels, cylindrical fountains), bottle rockets, roman candles and fire crackers are legal to discharge. You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase fireworks.
Fireworks may be discharged only on your property, the property of someone who has granted you permission to discharge fireworks or at special discharge locations. Persons who violate this law could be fined up to $250 per infraction.
Those under the age of 18 may possess or use fireworks only in the presence of an adult. Violations can result in a fine of up to $250 per infraction. A second violation, within five years, can result in delinquency charges.
Use Common Sense
A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally uses consumer fireworks and the violation results in serious bodily injury to a person commits a Class D felony, an offense punishable by imprisonment from six months to three years and a fine of up to $10,000.
A person who recklessly, knowingly or intentionally uses consumer fireworks and the violation causes harm to the property of a person commits a Class A misdemeanor, an offense punishable by imprisonment for up to one year and a fine of up to $5,000.
A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally uses consumer fireworks and the violation results in the death of a person commits a Class C felony, an offense punishable by imprisonment from two to eight years and a fine of up to $10,000.
Be Careful Out There
Follow these safety tips when using fireworks:
- Never let children handle, play with, or light any fireworks.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Always purchase your fireworks from reliable, licensed fireworks dealers.
- Use in a clear, open area. Keep audience a safe distance away from the shooting site.
- Safety glasses are recommended for those individuals lighting the fireworks or those in close proximity to the fireworks.
- Do not alter any fireworks device or make your own fireworks.
- Light only one firework item at a time.
- Never attempt to re-light, alter or fix any "dud" firework item.
- Have a fire extinguisher, water supply, hose or bucket of water nearby.
- Be cautious of lighting any fireworks during strong wind conditions and light fireworks with prevailing wind blowing away from the spectators.
- Never smoke when handling fireworks.
- Do not drink alcohol when handling fireworks.
- Never aim, point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Use fireworks outdoors, never indoors.